Main sustainability and CSR standards
GRI - Global Reporting Initiative
GRI indicators represent the best standards for publicly reporting to stakeholders on the impacts of companies from social, economic and environmental perspectives.
They are the most used reporting framework by companies in the world and the complete list of indicators can be consulted here.
- It's got a pretty full set of indicators.
- It allows companies to report on what is relevant to them, not on everything.
- It has an assistance and support network that makes reporting much easier.
- It allows for the traceability of sustainability actions over time.
- As it is the most used worldwide, it allows comparisons not only with the same company but with others.
The ISO 26000 for social responsibility is a certification that can be obtained by complying with certain standards in the areas of governance, labor practices, environment, fair operating practices, consumers, community participation and development, and human rights.
For more details click here.
- It is a certification that is mainly requested by public administrations from contractors.
- Those who have this certification have been evaluated by a supposedly independent third party.
SGE 21 is a standard for certifying the ethical and socially responsible management of organizations.
This initiative of Forética is designed to have a better dialogue and greater transparency with stakeholders.
- It is characterized by its ability to adapt to the needs of each organization regardless of its size.
- It brings rigour to the management of CSR.
Promoted by the United Nations - UN - this initiative establishes 10 principles that must be complied with by all companies that decide to join this initiative.
The 10 principles are related to environmental aspects, respect and promotion of human rights and labour standards.
- It is an initiative that has many resources for training and learning about sustainability.
- In Spain it has established itself as a key player and this generates a reputation and allows it to connect with other good users.
This is a standard that is very focused on reporting and certification of labour issues. In other words, it is very focused on all aspects related to the company's workers.
It was created by Social Accountability International (SAI) and to learn more about this initiative click here.
- Its main advantage is that being a standard built for a particular area it is quite specific or can be an advantage over other standards covering a larger number of topics but in a more general way.